- Camp Natoma -
Camp Natoma was founded in 1941 when the Natoma Council of Camp Fire Girls purchased 200 acres in the Adelaide district west of Paso Robles. At the time of purchase, the land was completely unimproved. The first summer, under Director Gladys Cooper, campers ate all of their meals outside, fished in the creek and swam in a swimming hole created by a sandbag dam.
Volunteers spent hundreds of hours to transform Camp Natoma into a lasting fixture of summer fun on the Central Coast. They built a burlap-covered dining hall, built a dam in the creek for a swimming hole, cleared brush for campsites, improved the road, and even built a gravity-fed water system. Eventually, an adjacent 160 acres with a spring were purchased.