Camp Natoma was founded in 1941 when the Natoma Council of Camp Fire Girls purchased 200 acres in the Adelaide district west of Paso Robles. At the time of purchase, the land was completely unimproved. The first summer, under Director Gladys Cooper, campers ate all of their meals outside, fished in the creek and swam in a swimming hole created by a sandbag dam.
Volunteers spend hundreds of hours to transform Camp Natoma into a lasting fixture of summer fun on the Central Coast. They built a burlap-covered dining hall, built a dam in the creek for a swimming hole, cleared brush for campsites, and improved the road. Volunteers built a gravity-fed water system. Eventually, an adjacent 160 acres with a spring were purchased.
Over the years, some permanent improvements have been made to the site, however the camp remains rustic and embedded in nature. Campers and staff now enjoy a permanent dining hall with a full kitchen with electricity and a few flush toilets. One of the most enjoyed parts of camp is the 25-yard swimming pool completed in 1971. In 2004 a twisting enclosed water slide was added.
MORE COMING SOON!